- $130,851.00 Per Annum + Super
- Full time, Fixed Term for 12 Months
- Melbourne CBD location
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with the key internal and external stakeholders. The incumbent must manage constructive relationships in a sensitive and potentially volatile
- Provide strategic and timely expert oral and written advice to WorkSafe under the supervision of the Managing Principal Lawyer on complex legal and policy
- Have the day to day conduct of civil litigation under the supervision of the Managing Principal Lawyer, including applications for administrative review and applications for injunctive relief.
- Assist in the development and implementation of strategic projects within designated timelines.
- Assist in the formulation, development and implementation of guidelines, policies and strategies across the Enforcement Group as
- Identify and propose legislative, procedural or investigative reform where
- Supervise the work performed by legal officers and paralegals in relation matters under the lawyer's
- This role will be expected to be flexible in supporting other projects within the branch and division, dependent on business priorities.
- Accountable for creating and capturing accurate and complete records of the business activities related to this position, in accordance with approved policy and procedures. This is applicable to both hardcopy and electronic information, including email
- Demonstrated experience in administrative law and general civil litigation.
- Demonstrated experience in criminal law and the laws of evidence is preferred for this position
- Demonstrated experience in providing legal advice in a compliance and enforcement context
- Demonstrated advocacy experience, particularly in courts of summary jurisdiction
- Demonstrated experience in assisting to deliver strategic projects in a legal setting, including in formulating, developing and implementing legislative reform, legal policy, operational and stakeholder guidance documents is preferred for this position.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work as an effective member of a highly motivated, multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to meet timelines and effectively manage varying and complex work load
- Bachelor of Laws
- Eligible to hold a practising certificate, without trust authorisation, in the State of Victoria
LawyerMelbourne VIC, Australia
About the role
This position is accountable for providing specialist legal advice and managing civil litigation to support health and safety business operations, including in relation to the administrative review of Enforcement Group activities, development of guidance and in the formulation, development and implementation of strategic projects. The position may also be responsible for providing general legal advice.
This role sits within The Enforcement Group which is responsible for monitoring and enforcing compliance with Victoria's accident compensation and health and safety laws. The Enforcement Group has a team of criminal, administrative, OH&S and compensation legal specialists.
Some key accountabilities:
Please ensure you take a look at the Position Description provided for additional information on accountabilities for this role. www.wemake.worksafe.vic.gov.au
You have been practicing as an Australian Lawyer with at least 3 years post admission experience. You have experience in the drafting and implementation of legislation. You will be able to meet consistent timelines and to effectively manage varying and complex workloads.
More specifically you will have;
Working with Us
We pride ourselves on being a great place to work and offer flexibility to facilitate work/life balance.
WorkSafe employees enjoy: Discounted Gym & Pool Memberships | WELL Rated Building | Group Training & Yoga Classes | Very active Social Club | Pool & Table Tennis | Sparkling Water | Discounted Prescription Eyewear | Career Opportunities and Working for your Community!
Applications close 11:00pm Friday 24th January . Click the link to apply, and join us in making a difference to Victorian lives.
Only people with Australian Citizenship or Permanent Residency may apply for this position. You will be required to undergo a National Police Check as part of the recruitment process.
Candidate screening may take place prior to the advertisement closing, so get your application in.
For further enquiries please contact Ilona Russell on 03 4243 8818.
At WorkSafe our passion for the wellbeing of Victorian workers brings us together. Our people come from a wide range of professions and with no two days ever being the same, diverse thinking comes naturally to us. As we build the WorkSafe of the future we're committed to delivering industry best practice to our people, our customers and the community.
WorkSafe 2030 will ensure that WorkSafe Victoria remains at the forefront of workplace health and safety, and meets the community's high expectations in relation to managing the workers' compensation scheme at a time of rapid workplace change. WorkSafe 2030's prevention-led approach will save lives and reduce injuries. It will deliver affordable premiums and lower administration costs for employers, freeing up their time and resources.
WorkSafe are striving to build a diverse workforce that reflects the Victorian community we serve.
Lawyer - PD.pdf
Type: Fixed Term
Category: Legal - Generalists - In-house
Reference ID: IR000037
Date Posted: 13/01/2020