- $130,851.00 Per Annum + Super
- 12 month Fixed Term, Full time - Commencing Feb 2020
- Melbourne CBD location
- Investigate and determine applications for review of an inspector or authorised person's decision in accordance with relevant legislation.
- Consider and determine requests initiated by WorkSafe management for cancellation or variation of an inspector or an authorised person's decision.
- Write clear and logical decisions setting out the basis for decision, relevant findings of fact and the material on which those findings were based.
- Communicate outcomes of reviews and the reasons for those outcomes to applicants, inspectors, authorised decision-makers and relevant WorkSafe staff in a timely and professional manner.
- Provide direct feedback to WorkSafe management on matters raised in reviews and outcomes of such reviews, and identify operational, policy or training opportunities which may arise from those reviews.
- Liaise with and provide instruction and guidance to employers, employees and other duty holders in relation to the review process.
- Provide authoritative guidance to WorkSafe staff, external organisations and individuals on issues relating to the review process.
- Assist the Director in ensuring the IRU operates efficiently and effectively.
- Accountable for creating and capturing accurate and complete records of the business activities related to this position, in accordance with approved policy and procedures. This is applicable to both hardcopy and electronic information, including email.
- Demonstrated ability to assess competing and complex arguments and to reach logical and sustainable conclusions based on relevant material.
- Demonstrated ability to write sound logical and sustainable decisions capable of withstanding internal and external scrutiny, including scrutiny by Courts and Tribunals.
- Capacity to deal effectively and tactfully with a wide range of stakeholders in the review context, including workers, employers, lawyers and other representatives.
- Demonstrated ability to present review outcomes and learnings to internal and external stakeholder groups, and to represent the IRU in a range of settings.
- Well-developed alternative dispute resolution, conflict resolution and facilitation skills.
- Able to work as an effective member of a highly motivated, multi-disciplinary team, to meet timelines and effectively manage varying and complex work loads.
- A high level of personal integrity.
- Experience in the operation of merit review Tribunals, such as VCAT in relation to administrative decision making.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications, including a Bachelor of Laws.
- Sound understanding of the principles of administrative review, and their application to the WorkSafe review context.
- Understanding of the principles of statutory interpretation and legal precedent.
- Understanding of the Maxwell Report, the OHS Act 2004, and other safety related legislation.
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) - desirable but not essential.
Internal Review OfficerMelbourne VIC, Australia
About the role
Our Internal Review Unit (IRU) provides employers, workers, health and safety representatives and other eligible persons with an opportunity to request a review of decisions made by inspectors and other persons authorised by WorkSafe under health and safety legislation including the Occupational Health & Safety Act 2004, Dangerous Goods Act 1985, Equipment (Public Safety) Act 1994 (health and safety legislation) and compensation legislation under the Workplace Injury Rehabilitation & Compensation Act 2013 and the Regulations made thereunder. The IRU also reviews licensing decisions made under health and safety legislation and Regulations. Internal Review supports our work in the Victorian community and aims to be connected, persistent and dynamic.
The Internal Review Officer is expected to undertake a high level of complex investigative and analytical work that has significant implications across WorkSafe Victoria operations while working within clear and established management systems, legislative/regulatory provisions and professional standards.
Some key accountabilities:
Please ensure you take a look at the Position Description provided for additional information on accountabilities for this role. www.wemake.worksafe.vic.gov.au
You have demonstrated experience in conducting administrative and merit reviews or formal organisational investigations. Your written and verbal communication skills will be highly developed and you will have the ability to work independently with minimal supervision in an environment of internal and stakeholder pressure, and strict statutory deadlines.
More specifically you will have;
Working with Us
We pride ourselves on being a great place to work and offer flexibility to facilitate work/life balance.
WorkSafe employees enjoy: Discounted Gym & Pool Memberships | WELL Rated Building | Group Training & Yoga Classes | Very active Social Club | Pool & Table Tennis | Sparkling Water | Discounted Prescription Eyewear | Career Opportunities and Working for your Community!
Applications close 11:00pm Thursday 12th December. Click the link to apply, and join us in making a difference to Victorian lives.
Only people with Australian Citizenship or Permanent Residency may apply for this position. You will be required to undergo a National Police Check as part of the recruitment process.
Candidate screening may take place prior to the advertisement closing, so get your application in.
For further enquiries please contact Ilona Russell on 03 4243 8818.
At WorkSafe our passion for the wellbeing of Victorian workers brings us together. Our people come from a wide range of professions and with no two days ever being the same, diverse thinking comes naturally to us. As we build the WorkSafe of the future we're committed to delivering industry best practice to our people, our customers and the community.
WorkSafe 2030 will ensure that WorkSafe Victoria remains at the forefront of workplace health and safety, and meets the community's high expectations in relation to managing the workers' compensation scheme at a time of rapid workplace change. WorkSafe 2030's prevention-led approach will save lives and reduce injuries. It will deliver affordable premiums and lower administration costs for employers, freeing up their time and resources.
WorkSafe are striving to build a diverse workforce that reflects the Victorian community we serve.
Internal Review Officer - PD.pdf
Type: Fixed Term
Category: Government Relations and Corporate Affairs - Government Relations
Reference ID: IR000029
Date Posted: 28/11/2019